Monday, August 3, 2020





“Beauty comes from within. Your body’s just a shell” I guess that’s what they say;
but do they understand ups and downs, the real struggle every day?

Standing in the mirror starts off pretty well, I touch my edges and curves;
but even those moments can be fleeting and quick, and often get on my nerves.

Stray comments and whispers I don’t understand, have come from those who don’t know me;
they’ve crept in my head it’s sad to say, and it seems like they see right through me.

I’ve spent countless hours changing my thoughts, learning to be gentle and kind;
most days it’s a breeze, no problem at all, some days it sneaks up from behind.

It comes in waves, day by day, this whole body image thing;
most days I feel beautiful inside and out, and I don’t even feel a sting.

A journey frequently traveled, filled with twists and turns, an all too familiar road;
 it will forever be a part of my story, my memoir at best, at least that’s what I’m told.

I’ve started to find love for this body of mine, or at least I’m giving it a try;
I gaze with appreciation at my strength and my grit, and do my best not to cry.

I don’t shudder when other hands touch my skin, and arms wrap around my hips;
I don’t close my eyes when the lights are on or nervously bite my lips.

My limits are boundless when my feet hit the ground and I conquer every last mile;
 my face reflects the woman I am from my eyes, to my cheekbones, to my smile.

I don’t hide from the world in baggy clothes and always try to look my best;
from brushing my hair, to clasping my earrings and slipping into a beautiful dress.

My belly laughs and sweet open heart are contagious, at least that’s the word on the street;
it’s my goal every day, my mission, my purpose to find beauty in everyone that I meet.

It does get easier if you find a way to try, this I can promise is true;
to harness the spirit, fight, and love that lies deep inside of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment